The University of Michigan has installed outdoor canopies around campus to provide individual students additional space for studying, rest, and eating between classes.
Starting July 7, 2021, canopy reservation availability is expanding. Campus canopy locations are available for reservation Monday through Friday 8am - 6pm (4 hour maximum) for U-M departmental meetings and student organization meetings. Units can submit reservations for these hours starting July 1, 2021. Currently, the last day a reservation will be accepted is August 13, 2021. Learn more about reserving a canopy.
- Central Campus
- Michigan Union (2 locations)
- Ingalls Mall North
- North Campus
- Gerstacker Grove
General Use Hours of Operation
Open April 6, 2021. Close date TBD.
- Mon - Fri
- 11am - 6pm
- Sat - Sun/Holidays:
- Noon - 6pm
General Usage Guidelines
- For unvaccinated individuals, face coverings and social distancing is strongly recommended.
- Furniture should not be moved in order to maintain appropriate social distancing.
- Do not tamper with or alter the canopy structure.
- No consumption of alcohol.
- The MWireless WiFi network will be provided at all student canopies.
- Electrical power and lighting is not available in the canopies.
- Canopy capacities are set at 72 square feet/person
- Students are expected to use disinfecting wipes on table surfaces before and after use. Hand sanitizer is available in each canopy.
- Tables in each canopy are cleaned regularly by U-M staff each day of operation.
- Canopies will not be open for operation in inclement weather.
Canopy operations are subject to change, check this site for the most current information. Temporary canopy closures due to inclement weather will not be listed on this site.
For indoor study spaces, please visit studyspaces.umich.edu
Information updated July 12, 2021