The University of Michigan has installed outdoor canopies around campus to provide individual students additional space for studying, rest, and eating between classes.
- Central Campus
- South Quad
- Michigan Union (2 locations)
- Ingalls Mall North
- North Campus
- Gerstacker Grove
Hours of Operation
Open April 6, 2021. Close date TBD.
- Mon - Fri
- 11am - 6pm
- Sat - Sun/Holidays:
- Noon - 6pm
- Canopies are for individual use only and not schedulable, no gatherings, groups or parties.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times in the canopy with the exception of brief meal consumption.
- Six feet of social distance maintained at all times.
- Furniture should not be moved in order to maintain appropriate social distancing.
- Do not tamper with or alter the canopy structure.
- No consumption of alcohol.
- The MWireless WiFi network will be provided at all student canopies.
- Electrical power and lighting is not available in the canopies.
- Canopy capacities are set at 72 square feet/person
- Students are expected to use disinfecting wipes on table surfaces before and after use. Hand sanitizer is available in each canopy.
- Tables in each canopy are cleaned regularly by U-M staff each day of operation.
- Canopies will not be open for operation in inclement weather.
Canopy operations are subject to change, check this site for the most current information. Temporary canopy closures due to inclement weather will not be listed on this site.
For indoor study spaces, please visit studyspaces.umich.edu
Information updated March 29, 2021