Dear U-M Student,
With the recent Stay in Place Order for undergraduate students and the shift to move most in-person classes to remote instruction for the remainder of the semester, we understand that some of you may change your plans for remaining in Ann Arbor.
While there is no public health or university requirement for students to leave campus at this time, we would like to provide information to help you prepare for returning to your permanent residence, whenever that may be.
If you plan to return to your permanent residence, here are important things to do:
- Get a COVID-19 test. Public health officials recommend this for all students *within 7 days prior to departure. Students living in Michigan Housing are required to get tested before departure.
Saliva testing is available through the Community Sampling and Tracking Program (CSTP). Here is how to get a test:
- Plan ahead: Test results come back in 2-3 days
- If you have not already signed up for CSTP, do so now. You must be registered by 5:00pm the day before your test.
- Sign up for a testing time slot here. For exit testing, we strongly recommend that you sign up for a specific time slot. Testing is available this week at Palmer Commons, Pierpont Commons, West Quad Connector, and Couzens Multi-Purpose Room.
- Show up for your test. Allow for up to 3 days to receive your results.
- If your test is positive: You are directed to isolate for 10 days from the date of your test.
- If your test is negative: Practice enhanced social distancing for 14 days from the date of your test.
- If your test is negative, but a close contact (e.g., roommate) tests positive: You are considered exposed and should quarantine for 14 days from your last date of contact with the person who has COVID-19.
- After receiving your test results, submit your results here.
*You do not need to be re-tested if you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days. However, if you currently have COVID-19 symptoms you should seek a medical evaluation.
- If you live in Michigan Housing, stay tuned for resources from Student Life to support your decision to stay or leave. If you choose to move out early, you will receive a partial room and board refund credited to your student account upon successful completion of check-out procedures. All residential students who seek to move out early are required to complete a COVID-19 test as part of their departure process. To ensure you receive your refund, please complete this survey to verify that you have been tested and received your results in the 7 days prior to your departure. Plans for the Residence Halls for Winter 2021 term will be shared in November.
- Travel safely. Please review the following travel recommendations. It is recommended that you not travel until you have received negative test results.
- Quarantine for 14 days after arriving at your permanent residence. Wear a face covering, watch for development of symptoms and avoid contact with others.
Students who are currently in U-M Quarantine & Isolation Housing should discuss any travel plans or changes in move-out plans with their case investigator.
Additional details on U-M’s departure testing and protocols is available here.
Thank you for your efforts to limit the potential spread of COVID-19. Whenever and wherever you go, Go Blue.
Martino Harmon, Ph.D.
Vice President, Student Life
Robert D. Ernst, M.D.
Associate Vice President of Student Life for Health and Wellness
Executive Director of University Health Service