Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) would like to announce its “Movember” Men’s Mental Health Campaign. This is a joint venture between CAPS, The Spectrum Center, SAPAC, UHS, Wolverine Wellness, and Recreational Sports.
Men have a higher likelihood of dying by suicide, engaging in substance abuse, not utilizing mental health services, experiencing more intensive mental health issues, and are less likely to ask for support when experiencing difficult health issues. This monthly series of events are designed to both raise awareness and reduce stigma around mental health concerns.
Movember 2013 is an international awareness campaign designed to "change the face of men's mental health." The goal of the campaign is to also raise awareness of men’s physical and mental health issues. Student and staff can show their support around this campaign by growing a mustache or wearing a fake mustache on their clothing. The mustache, as a symbol, represents the same goal of awareness as other common symbols used in other campaigns -- e.g., the pink ribbon for breast cancer research.
During the upcoming month, we along with our partners will be hosting a series of events revolving around men’s mental health -- it all begins at the Movember Launch Party on November 4th from 12-4 PM on the ground floor of the Michigan Union. At this event we will be handing out many fun and informative mustache themed campaign materials to inform students of men’s issues.
List of Upcoming Events:
- November 4th – Movember Launch Party - 12:00 - 4:00 PM - Ground Floor of the Michigan Union
- November 7th – SAPAC Men’s Movie - TBA
- November 12th - Movember Yoga: Men's Only Yoga Class - 12:00 - 1:00 PM - CCRB 3275
- November 13th - Mustaches in Recovery: Substance Abuse Discussion Panel - 5:30 - 7:00 PM - UHS 4th Floor Room
- November 14th – Hail to the Mustache: Men's Health Fair – 12:00 - 2:00 PM - The Diag
- November 18th – TRANSforming Masculinity Event – TransMen Panel/Discussion – 12:00 - 1:30 PM CSG Chamber
- November 19th – Movember at the Movies: American History X screening followed by Gender/Racism Discussion. 6:30 – 9:30 PM; Angel Hall Auditorium A
- November 21st – Dare to Dream: Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Movie/Discussion – 7:30 – 9:30 PM - Kraus Auditorium Natural Science Building
- November 23rd – Beard Off Basketball Tournament - TBA
We hope that you are able to attend some of our events over the course of the next month.