U-M Strategy II: Recruit, Retain & Support Diverse Community
Student Life Objective A:
Develop and implement inclusive and equitable recruitment and hiring practices throughout Student Life to build a staff and student employee workforce that reflects diverse identities.
Priority: Strengthen & Innovate
- Create a shared hiring philosophy. Timeline: 2016-17
- Develop and implement search/selection committee training (including Unconscious Bias Training for all search committee members). Timeline: 2016-17
- Adopt competency-based interviewing practices and implement best practices in application review. Timeline: 2017-18
- Focus on cultivating a diverse student staff. Timeline: 2018-19
- Increase the number of student internships (paid or course credit) to facilitate equitable access, regardless of socioeconomic and national background.
- Develop and implement recruitment strategies and best practices for attracting a diverse student staff.
- Develop and implement hiring policies and best practices for a diverse student staff.
Sponsor: Anjali Anturkar, AVP
Chair: Anna Ruszkiewicz, Director, Student Life Human Resources
Strategic Lead Team with Action Teams (cross-unit)
Measures of Success
Diversity of the qualified applicant pool [Planned Indicators: Number of qualified applicants; Diversity of applicant pool by sex, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status]
Student employment and internship data. [Planned Indicators: Number of new internship positions created; Number of student workers based on compensation equity adjustments]
Diversity of the student staff. [Planned Indicators: Number of student staff; Diversity of student staff pool by sex, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status]
Number of participants in Student Life Search Training [Planned Indicators: Training headcount; Number of departments represented]
Data about participant satisfaction in the Student Life Search Training [Planned Indicators: Quantitative and qualitative responses about program logistics, facilitator effectiveness, and content delivery/program structure]
Data about job candidate experience. [Planned Indicators: Quantitative and qualitative responses about search logistics, candidates’ perceptions of their experience based on the components of the shared hiring philosophy]
Data about hiring committee experience. [Planned Indicators: Quantitative and qualitative responses about search logistics, committee members’ perceptions of their experiences; committee members’ perceptions of the effectiveness of the interview architect tool]
Data about student hiring processes. [Planned Indicators: Number and impact of student hiring process efficiency improvements]