U-M Strategy I: Create an Inclusive and Equitable Campus Climate
Student Life Objective B:
Build a new Trotter Multicultural Center in the heart of campus, with enhanced staff capacity to serve as a campus facilitator, convener, and coordinator of cultural competence and inclusive leadership education initiatives for students.
- Build a new organization to be a hub for multicultural education and activities and a space for students and student organizations to develop cultural awareness and skills for collaborative engagement in an increasingly global and diverse community.
- Develop cultural competency curriculum, partnerships to deliver that curriculum, and mechanisms to track programs to that curriculum.
- Increase the organization’s capacity to offer a full range of educational and support programs for students experiencing bias, including health and wellness topics such as resiliency and self-care.
- Develop Trotter Multicultural Center as a campus center for Truth, Healing and Transformation through hosting and coordinating existing exemplar programs and initiatives such as the IDI initiative, IGR’s social justice education, OSCR’s restorative practices and mediation, MESA’s educational programs and Ginsberg’s community partnerships, social justice and service learning experiences.
- Develop the center organization to increase access and opportunities for all students to explore heritage and cultural traditions.
2016/17 - Pilot Phase I
2017/18 - Pilot Phase II
2018/19 - Full Scale
Sponsor: Royster Harper, Vice President for Student Life
Strategic Lead: Michael Swanigan, Director of Trotter
Strategic Lead Team with Action Teams (cross-unit)
Measures of Success
Core Student Learning Outcome Measures:
Data on student learning on the six core student learning outcomes for Trotter programs that have strategic educational purposes that occur over a sustained period of time. [Planned Indicators: Results of the standardized, 24-item pre/post test]
Number of Trotter programs [Planned Indicators: Number of events by intent (i.e., cultural competence; inclusive leadership; collaborative engagement; well-being/agency; and heritage and cultural traditions)]
Number of collaborations [Planned Indicators: Number of partnerships and co-sponsorships with institutional partners; Number of partnerships and co-sponsorships with student organizations]
Number of students participating in Trotter programming [Planned Indicators: Student headcount; Demographic profile of student participants]
Student satisfaction with Trotter programming. [Planned Indicators: Quantitative and qualitative responses about program logistics, perceptions of program value and/or effectiveness, facilitator effectiveness, and content delivery/program structure]