Dear Michigan Community:
Student Life achieved significant progress in Years One, Two and Three of our Five-Year Plan to improve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Michigan. Highlights of our work with students over the past year include the opening of a new Trotter Multicultural Center in the heart of campus, a successful and growing DEI student internship program and the delivery of 66 Social Justice education and Intercultural Development programs. Notable progress on our staff plan includes successful delivery of 26 Unconscious Bias training sessions with 473 staff in addition to hosting 29 DEI professional development events across the division. We also successfully developed a new compensation model to facilitate increased equity and improve fairness and consistency in compensation practices.
As we come into Years Four and Five of our DEI Strategic Plan for Students, we will continue to focus on strengthening support and advocacy for students, Thriving in the First Year efforts, programming to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and intercultural learning for students and initiatives to prevent student sexual harassment and misconduct. For each of these Student Plan Objectives, we will be investing in:
- Increasing student access to and expanding student engagement in programming
- Implementing Student Life’s Partnership Model across programs
- Integrating Student Life’s Assessment Model across programs
We will also continue to invest in our DEI Staff Plan with continued focus on transforming the workforce and workplace to be more diverse, equitable and inclusive by:
- Integrating hiring and onboarding best practices across all units (including added focus on sexual harassment and sexual misconduct prevention)
- Increasing staff access to and expanding staff engagement in DEI professional development programs (including added focus on sexual harassment and misconduct prevention and access to conflict management pathways).
We are working hard to deliver on all of our objectives and integrate our successful initiatives into our organization to transform the Student Life experience and sustain the progress achieved for years to come. We celebrate these accomplishments achieved in partnership with staff and students across campus as a strong foundation for the innovation that lies ahead.
Sincerely and on behalf of our Student Life Team,
Simone Himbeault Taylor