For those of us who are family to a student with a disability, we may wonder if our college student will receive the attention and support they need in order to be successful in their academic career. The U-M Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office is on campus to help! SSD seeks to provide accommodations and access that students with disabilities may need in order to make the most of their college experiences. SSD advocates for students with disability issues at the state, national, and international levels, provides specialized support for students with various needs, and generally works to provide the most inclusive campus environment possible for students with disabilities.
Benefits of Registering
The first step toward connecting your student with all the support and resources SSD has to offer is to encourage them to register their disability with SSD, if they have not already done so. It is advantageous for your student, if they know they have a disability, to register before any services would even be needed. This will significantly speed up the process of getting support when it is desired.
Registering a disability opens the door to the kinds of support that may make all the difference for your student. Some of the benefits of registering include:
- The ability to request academic accommodations aimed at giving your student an equal chance to succeed.
- Access to possible financial support including scholarships and other funding.
- Academic coaching for all registered students.
- Admittance to the Knox Center, a quiet study space and assistive technology hub located in the Shapiro library.
- Screenings for any student on campus who is struggling for any reason and doesn't know why. SSD provides screenings and advises students on the appropriate next steps.
SSD strives to ensure no student is discriminated against based on their disability, and all students have equal access to course material as well as physical structures.
Getting In Touch
SSD is located at G-664 in Haven Hall at 505 South State St. Hours of operation are 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday through Friday. All U-M students and their parents are welcome and encouraged to come visit and learn more!
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.