To the Class of 2012 – and their families – congratulations! The University of Michigan graduation ceremony will be held Saturday, April 28, at 10:00 a.m. in Michigan Stadium. CNN chief medical correspondent and U-M alumnus Dr. Sanjay Gupta will deliver the spring commencement address.
A neurosurgeon who has excelled in his medical specialty, Gupta has become one of the most recognized public health experts in the world because of his reporting on health care and the medical and human crises that accompany natural and man-made disasters. He received his bachelor’s degree in biomedical sciences at U-M in 1990, participating broadly in campus life by singing with the Men’s Glee Club, writing on public health issues for The Michigan Daily and working as a resident adviser at Alice Lloyd Hall.
For several thousand students, parents and friends gathering for spring commencement in Ann Arbor, the following is an overview of graduation weekend. For all the details, visit U-M’s official commencement resource site.
- Commencement will be held in the stadium regardless of weather.
- No purses, bags, wristlets, or cases of any size are allowed in Michigan stadium.
- Graduating students must wear a cap and gown.
- Family members and guests should plan to arrive before 9:00 a.m. with tickets in hand. (Gates open at 8:00 a.m.)
For those who can’t attend the ceremony, spring commencement will be streamed live through the U-M website.
Several college or program-specific events will be held throughout the weekend. For a full list of U-M graduation events, visit www.umich.edu/~gradinfo/spring/schools.html
Navigating Ann Arbor
Graduation weekend in Ann Arbor is a busy, exciting time. Hotels and restaurants quickly become filled with graduates and their proud parents and families. Plan ahead:
- Visit the Ann Arbor Convention Center website to find out about local hotels and restaurants.
- Make reservations early.
- Consider parking and transportation options before you arrive on campus.
Celebrate after Commencement
University Unions is offering options to help “cap off” your special day!
- Commencement Brunch at the Michigan Union featuring an abundant offering of elegant entrees, salads, breakfast items, desserts and more. The buffet brunch will take place on Saturday, April 28, immediately following the ceremony.
- Michigan Memories Reception, a walk through the pictorial display in the Michigan Union art lounge, featuring noteworthy headlines from the Michigan Daily during the graduates’ years at U-M. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Host Your Own Celebration on Campus with a reception, lunch, or dinner at one of the three distinctive unions at the University of Michigan. In addition, University Unions is offering complimentary banquet rooms April 27 – 29, with a minimum purchase of ten full service meals. If you prefer another campus location, University Catering can deliver direct to your door.
For more information call (734) 764-8837 or go to http://catering.umich.edu/2012-spring-commencement.
To help the Student Life continue making a difference in students’ lives, please consider making a gift.