Use this quiz to see how much you know about some famous U-M alumni. (Don't worry, there won't be a midterm or final on this information!) The answers are listed at the bottom of the page.
1. U-M Alumni have won the Nobel Prize in which of the following fields? (Select all that apply.)
A. Medicine B. Peace C. Chemistry D. The Arts E. Physics
2. Most of us know that James Earl Jones is a U-M alumnus. But, do you know which of these other actors is U-M alumni? (Select all that apply.)
A. Gilda Radner B. David Alan Grier C. Lucy Liu D. Selma Blair E. All of the above
3. Alumnus James A. Chaffers ‘69, ’71 served as senior design juror for the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial on the National Mall Washington, D.C. He is a professor emeritus of architecture at U-M and the nation's first recipient of what?
4. Alumni James B. Irwin ’57, ’71 and David R. Scott '49-'50, were two American astronauts who *reportedly placed what Michigan items on the moon?
5. Alumnus Thomas Knoll '82, '84, is one of three designers who originally developed what popular photo editing software?
6. Which very popular drugstore was founded by a U-M Alumnus?
7. Alumnus Todd Weiser '04, is the vice president of programming and development for which popular television channels?
8. Which U-M Alumnus wrote "Death of a Salesman," "The Crucible," "The Misfits" and "Playing For Time."
9. Which Emmy award-winning Chief Medical Correspondent for CNN, Assistant Professor at Emory University, and Associate Chief of Neurosurgery at Grady Memorial Hospital, is a U-M alumnus?
10. Which U-M Alumna graduated in ’68 and ’87 and is a Grammy Award-winning contemporary opera singer (a dramatic soprano)? HINT: She also founded a tuition-free performing arts after-school program for economically disadvantaged students in Augusta, Georgia.
11. Which U-M Alumnus was a TV journalist for "60 Minutes" and had “The Knight Wallace Fellows” at U-M, a fellowship dedicated to journalism, named after him?
12. Alumnus Raoul Wallenberg '35, is famous for what acts of tremendous heroism during World War II?
13. Laurence Kirshbaum, '66, is the chairman of what major publishing company?
14. Which famous U-M alumnus wrote and illustrated "The Wreck of the Zypher," "Jumanji" and "The Polar Express."
15. Larry Page, ‘95 co-founded what major multi-national corporation in 1998?
1. A, C, E.
3. A doctoral degree in architecture.
4. Some sources at U-M say that a miniature U-M flag, a miniature U-M Dept. of Aerospace Engineering seal, and a charter of the U-M Alumni Club of the Moon were placed on the moon. Others say this is just a myth. Will we ever know for sure, or is it more fun to just assume they're there?
5. Adobe Photoshop
6. Walgreens Drugstore was founded by Charles Walgreen '28, '51, '92
7. The Food Network and the Cooking Channel
8. Arthur Miller, '38, '56
9. Sanjay Gupta, '90, '93
10. Jessye Norman
11. Mike Wallace, '39, '87
12. He saved thousands of Hungarian Jews by giving them Swedish passports during the war.
13. Time Warner Book Group
14. Chris Van Allsburg ’72
15. Google Corporation
You can learn about many more famous U-M alumni at the AAUM website: http://alumni.umich.edu/about/famous-alumni.
Photo of Gilda Radner courtesy of Movies of LA Creative Commons License. Photo of Jessye Norman courtesy of Picasa Creative Commons License. All other photos provided courtesy of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM).
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.