Here are the top tips for making your student's on-campus move-in as smooth as possible.
1. Stick to your time slot
In August, University Housing residents with signed contracts are invited by email to select a specific date and time period for moving in. It's not too late for your student to select a time slot (login required).
Here are dates for move-in:
- Most students will move in Thursday, August 30 or Friday, August 31
- Students participating in Michigan Learning Communities will move in Wednesday, August 29
- Students in other programs, such as ROTC or Marching Band, are required to arrive earlier -- check with the program for details
- International Freshman Orientation participants can move-in August 26th.
Sticking to your time slot helps ensure enough space for your car, as well as enough volunteers to assist you when you arrive. It also keeps the lines a little shorter than they would be otherwise.
2. Let us help!
Students arriving on August 29, 30 or 31 will be met by a team of MLEADers, who are amazing, dynamic, maize-shirted student move-in volunteers. They will help you unload, pack things into big bins on wheels, and help you wheel everything up to your student's room. We've got this!
3. Use your unloading permit
Remember to download your unloading permit. Your student will receive a link to the unloading permit in an email from University Housing. Print it and stick it in the windshield of your car. It notifies officers that you’re ready to be directed to an unloading space. If you’ve selected a time slot, that time will be printed on your permit. You can also download and print campus move-in maps with the best routes marked.
4. Keep your car moving
As far as vehicles go, think of move-in as three stops:
- Pull up to the building for unloading. Plan only about 30 minutes for this, as all you need to do is get things out of your car.
- You'll be directed to temporary parking, usually a couple of blocks away, where you can park your car for about two hours, while you head back to the room for unpacking and decorating.
- After unpacking, move your car again to longer-term parking. There are lots of parking options around the city, and it might make sense to hop on a bus back to campus or downtown for dinner.
You can also:
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.