Parents and Families

U-M students chatting in residence hall lounge

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides many types of support to U-M students, including scholarships, funding, and equipment. Read more about available programs on their site, including the inspiring families and students who made these awards possible.

If your student experiences speech disfluency (or stuttering) or if you know of a student who does, please let them know about the Wolens Speech and Language fund. Funds can be used to:

  • Participate in community activities
  • Receive speech therapy
  • Purchase adaptive technology aimed at improving conversational abilities
  • Help defray the cost involved with membership and participation in local, regional or national advocacy organizations (i.e. National Stutters Association)

SSD is also forming a support group for students with speech disfluency. To learn more about SSD, visit the SSD website or contact the office at (734) 763-3000 or

And you may also be interested to know that Services for Students with Disabilities provides accommodationsacademic coaching, and mentoring support to UM students with many different kinds of disabilities, including: Learning DisabilitiesADHD, and Mental Health Conditions among others. 


To help Student Life continue making a difference in students’ lives, please consider making a gift