The year 2017 marks the celebration of the University of Michigan Bicentennial.
From 1817 to 2017, U-M has excelled in areas from research to sports, music to medicine, and much more. The people and programs that have created the rich history of U-M will be celebrated throughout the year.
Your student is encouraged to get involved this Bicentennial year. How will your student remember and be remembered during the Bicentennial? For a bit of inspiration, you may enjoy watching this video highlight of 200 years of U-M history, leadership and excellence.
Here are a few ideas on how to your student can get involved:
- Check out the Michigan Bicentennial Archive (M-BARC) team, a group of students working to launch a time capsule into space!
- Attend some of the 200+ events, performances, and festivals offered throughout the year, including UMich200 Spring Festival – April 6-8, 2017 - with alumni including James Earl Jones, Darren Criss, Sanjay Gupta and Cecilia Munoz
- Attend an LSA course or event, reflecting their Winter 2017 Theme, The Making of the University of Michigan
- Celebrate 200 years through new merchandise!
- Share Bicentennial stories through social media with #umich200
As the Office of the President shared, “The end of two centuries also means we are beginning a third. Our Bicentennial celebration gives us a wonderful opportunity to look forward and consider how we will lead in the future, as the University of Michigan.”
As your student navigates and creates their college experience, the Bicentennial celebration offers a chance to consider how they will impact the future as a Wolverine.
Please talk with your student today about Bicentennial events and activities they can take part in this year!
Always Leading. Forever Valiant.
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.