Congratulations to the Class of 2017 – and to their parents and families!
The University of Michigan graduation ceremony will be held Saturday, April 29, at 10 a.m. in the Michigan Stadium.
To celebrate the university’s 200th birthday, the Spring Commencement will uniquely mark the milestone with multiple speakers, a musical performance and special seating for graduates on the field.
Enjoy the Day - Plan Ahead for Commencement:
- Commencement will be held in the stadium regardless of weather
- No purses, bags, wristlets, or cases of any size are allowed in Michigan Stadium.
- Michigan Stadium gates open (Gates 2, 4, 8, 9, 10) at 8 a.m. - all graduates, family members and guests are required to have tickets.
- Graduating students must wear a cap and gown.
- Graduates assemble at the northeast side of Michigan Stadium at 8 a.m. (see map)
- Graduate procession into stadium starts at 8:45 a.m.
- Spring Commencement ceremony begins at 10 a.m. and ends at approximately 11:45 a.m.
- For those who can’t attend the ceremony, spring commencement will be streamed live through the U-M Commencement website and will also be broadcast on Comcast channel 22 in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area.
- Several college or program-specific events will be held throughout the weekend.
- Due to limited parking near Michigan Stadium, we encourage guests to use the complimentary shuttle service to and from area hotels and parking lots. Service will begin at 7:45 a.m. and will run approximately every 20 minutes until 9:45 a.m. Buses will resume operation at the end of the commencement ceremony.
For all details, visit U-M’s official Commencement website.
Navigating Ann Arbor:
Graduation weekend in Ann Arbor is a busy, exciting time. Ann Arbor hotels and restaurants quickly become filled with graduates and their families. Essential resources to help you plan ahead include:
- The Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau website to find out about local hotels and restaurants
- Parking and transportation options
- Live traffic updates using Google maps
- Campus Information for your campus/Ann Arbor questions at (734) 764-INFO, open 19 hours every day and ready to answer your questions
University Unions has options to help "cap off" your special day!
- Commencement Brunch at the Michigan Union featuring an array of elegant entrees, salads, breakfast items, desserts and more. The buffet brunch will take place on Saturday, April 29, immediately following the ceremony. Reservations required!
- New! You can also celebrate your student's graduation with a more casual option: join family and friends for a relaxed graduation day brunch in Pierpont Commons on North Campus. The buffet begins immediately following the ceremony. A selection of delicious items will be available. Reservations are required.
- Michigan Memories Reception, a walk through the pictorial display in the Michigan Union art lounge, featuring noteworthy headlines from the Michigan Daily during the graduates' years at U-M. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Host Your Own Celebration on Campus with a reception, lunch, or dinner at one of the three distinctive unions at the University of Michigan. From April 27-30, University Unions is offering complimentary banquet rooms to graduating seniors with a minimum purchase of ten full-service meals. For more information call (734) 764-8837 or visit the Conference and Event Services website.
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.