Adversity is an inevitable and unpredictable part of our life journey. When students are faced with problems, large and small, it’s important to remember that in addition to their internal strength, U-M also offers services to support them. Many departments on campus exist for the sole purpose to help students who are experiencing a challenge.
Here are some common challenges that students face and resources on campus that can help.
- Office of the Provost - The Office of the Provost provides a comprehensive list of emergency funding opportunities across campus.
- Center for Education of Women - CEW provides immediate and ongoing services and financial support needed to ensure educational success and degree completion.
- Medical Assistance and Financial Needs - For students facing medical bills or who are in need of low-cost health care.
Physical and/or Mental Health Concerns:
- Mental health services at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Medical services at University Health Service
- Students and families can search local mental health care providers using the U-M Community Provider Database
Job Search-Related Stress:
- University Career Center Clothes Closet - professional clothing provided to students at no cost! Items provided include full suits, dress shirts, skirts, blouses, ties, shoes, and more.
- Career Coaching - Is your student in distress about what’s after college? They can receive free coaching on interviewing, networking, cover letters, resumes, gap years, advanced degrees, and more from the University Career Center.
- The Office of Student Conflict Resolution provides a variety of resources from one on one conflict coaching to formal mediations.
- University Ombudsman can help students navigate complaints about the University in confidence.
- Student Legal Services advises students regarding their legal rights and represent them, if needed, in Washtenaw County courts.
If you're not sure where to begin, the Dean of Students Office can help you and your student navigate any concerns and connect you and your student with appropriate resources. Contact the Dean of Students Office by calling 734-764-7420 (8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday). On-call staff will be available to assist you.
Every difficulty we face in our lives helps build resilience and confidence for overcoming the next. You can take an active role in helping your student accept their situation and encourage them to seek support, giving them greater hope for the future.
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.