College students experience food insecurity at alarming rates. The Maize and Blue Cupboard is available to provide an immediate and comprehensive response to those needing assistance. By offering resources, educational opportunities, compassionate support and more, the Maize & Blue Cupboard helps students with the resources they need and assists them in developing the skills to make informed decisions.
If you or your student is interested in helping the MBC meet its mission, there are many ways you can help. From making monetary donations to dropping off items like cookware and food to donating your time.
Please consider a monetary donation to the Maize and Blue Cupboard—your dollar can go ten times further to help a student in need. Monetary donations must be made online.
Is your student interested in being a volunteer? There is no experience necessary, and your student can sign up for a shift that works with their schedule.
Donations of produce, canned and dry goods, cookware and personal care items are always accepted. To ensure the health and safety of students are met, MBC only accepts items that comply with federal, state, and local food safety regulations. Most needed items include:
- Fruits and vegetables. If you plan to donate canned fruit, look for it in its own juice or with “no sugar added.” Look for canned vegetables that say “low sodium” or “no salt added.”
- Whole grains including brown rice or barley, oatmeal, quinoa and more are always needed.
- Protein-rich foods like canned beans, seafood, and lean meats. Look for “no salt added,” low sodium, and canned in water (instead of oil) varieties.
- Low-fat (1%) or non-fat dairy products.
- Dry, ground herbs and spices are welcome. By donating spices, you help enable students to flavor their food without a lot of added salt.
- Equipment and utensils including pots and pans, cutting boards and knives, plates, bowls and silverware, and more.
In addition, students can always use items like toilet paper, paper towels and other self-care necessities like shampoo, conditioner and deodorant.
Please visit the MBC website for more information.