Is your Wolverine traveling abroad? Purchase affordable, comprehensive health insurance plans through U-M

No matter where in the world your Wolverine may go, help ensure they have the resources and tools in place that can protect them if the unexpected arises.

Whether your student is traveling abroad as a part of a U-M Study Abroad program, presenting at an international conference or seeing the world during a well-earned vacation, the Office of the Provost urges all U-M students traveling abroad to plan for the unexpected with U-M's affordable and comprehensive Travel Abroad Health Insurance through GeoBlue.

“Our university is at its best when we are globally connected,” said Dr. Robert Ernst, chief health officer, executive director of UHS, and associate vice president for health and wellness in Student Life. “Ensuring every Wolverine is as safe and prepared as possible, whether here on campus or around the world, is essential to our mission.”


Ways to go GeoBlue 

Personal travel: Current U-M students traveling internationally for personal reasons can purchase GeoBlue (Leisure Plan) for $1.57 per day.

U-M related travel: Students on international U-M Related Travel are required to be enrolled in GeoBlue while abroad. 


Summer travel tips for your Wolverine  

  • Register their international travel with U-M: 

    • Travel registration is used to quickly and accurately locate U-M travelers abroad in case of an emergency. The travel registry is the university’s official means of sharing urgent health, safety, and security-related information.
    • Travel registration is required for students on U-M Related Travel and is optional for those traveling for personal reasons.
  • Ensure they are covered by GeoBlue, U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Beyond the many benefits of this coverage, it also includes emergency evacuation in the event of political instability or national disaster.
  • Review additional health resources on Global Michigan.
  • Six to eight weeks before departure, schedule a travel health consultation at the University Health Service (UHS).  During the consultation, which is free for those currently enrolled in classes, students can receive updated immunizations and discuss personal considerations based on their individual health conditions, destination and length of stay. 
  • Review the General Emergency Protocols document, which outlines steps and resources for U-M travelers abroad in need of emergency support from the university.
  • Bring a list of emergency contacts, which may include the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) for additional support in the event of an emergency: +1 734-763-1131 (Ann Arbor)