Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
The University of Michigan Student Life is committed to student learning and the development of the whole student in a diverse and multicultural campus community. Student Life seeks to engender a diverse community that is accessible, safe and inclusive. We value a community that appreciates and learns from our similarities and differences. We pledge our commitment to support the success of all community members.
Access, Transparency & Trust
"It is more important than ever that Student Life and the University of Michigan maintain our commitment to DEI in a world that repeatedly challenges it. We are here to not just hold the line but to move it forward. And we want all members of the campus community to feel the impact of our work—how it impacts their learning, their experiences, and their lives moving forward."
- Martino Harmon, Vice President for Student Life
Strengthen, Innovate, Assess, Enhance & Engage
Inspired by ongoing student and staff insights, Student Life’s strategic and iterative priorities to improve diversity, equity and inclusion at Michigan are summarized in the framework of Strengthen, Innovate, Assess, Enhance and Engage. Our five-year plan focuses on robust and strategic investment in:
- Strengthening existing advocacy, support and education and the first-year experience for students and improving DEI partnerships with schools/colleges
- Building Trotter as a Center for broad and diverse student engagement and innovation to develop more global and inclusive student leaders with “growth mindsets”
- Enhancing current staff DEI skills and awareness, while developing inclusive hiring practices and building equitable onboarding and development experiences for all new team members
- Improving assessment capacity to ensure our DEI work is more data-informed
“The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (the University) is dedicated to supporting and maintaining a scholarly community. As its central purpose, this community promotes intellectual inquiry through vigorous discourse. Values which undergird this purpose include civility, dignity, diversity, education, equality, freedom, honesty, and safety.”
– The University of Michigan Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities
Beginning in 2015, Student Life engaged a broad cross-section of students, staff, and research to ensure a grounded and informed plan to be implemented over the next five years, and this robust engagement allowed for a clear set of divisional DEI 1.0 objectives.
September 30, 2022 | Student Life has achieved significant progress in DEI 1.0 to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion at Michigan. Beginning in 2015, Student Life engaged a broad cross-section of students and staff to augment our research efforts and ensure a grounded and informed plan to be implemented over the next five years.