Finals are approaching and your student is nearing the end of the academic year in Ann Arbor. Congratulations to you both on a year well done! If your student lives within University Housing it is important to reach out and remind them of a few helpful steps that need to be completed before they fully kick back into summer.
Listed below are helpful reminders to share with your student. For residential students it is important to know that Residence halls officially close at 11 AM on Friday, April 27, 2018. Students who need to extend their stay in the community must apply, and applications are due by Monday, April 23 at noon.
All the furniture that was in the space when your student arrived needs to be back in the space before they depart for the summer. Please be sure to encourage your student to pick up trash and take all items with them. A good rule is to leave the space the way they found it upon move-in. Donation bins will be present in each of the communities for your student to donate any unwanted item.
If your student is looking to sell unwanted items, you can encourage them to use the Safe Zone Exchange. This is an area where students and community members can safely meet and complete transactions made online. The Zone is located within and in close proximity to the U-M Police Department to ensure security in the case of an emergency.
Other helpful tips:
- Check for mail and packages before they leave! Be sure you student updates their address on Wolverine Access so that mail delivery will continue.
- Connect with John’s Pack and Ship to assist with storage and shipment of items back home, if desired.
- For any damage in the space, submit a FixIt request to help ensure unnecessary charges are avoided at the end of the year.
- If the space has a MicroFridge or rental refridgerator, be sure it is turned off. This will be picked up after your student’s departure.
- Students can take unwanted medications to University Health Service for disposal anytime that the building is open. See Safe Medication Disposal.
After move-out, you and your student can rest easy and look forward to another year at U-M!
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.