Tips for Summer Subleasing
Is your student thinking about subletting their place this summer? If so, you may want to suggest that your student take a few moments to learn about their rights and responsibilities to ensure they don't run into any issues at the end of the summer.
Encourage your student to consider the following tips, resources and opportunities as they navigate subletting.
- First, your student should review their lease and confirm with their landlord that they are able to sublet their space. Many landlords require subtenants to undergo the same approval process as normal tenants. Some landlords will help with re-assigning the lease and sometimes that includes a fee.
- Next, your student can ask the property manager if they have resources to assist with finding a sublet tenant. They can also post their sublet listing free of charge on the Off-Campus Housing website.
- Once a potential tenant is identified, your student should interview potential tenants and clearly review the terms of the sublease agreement. The Off-Campus Housing website also has a printable sublease agreement and an inventory checklist for your student to use. This will ensure everything is in writing and will clarify when subtenants are living in the space, who is responsible for potential damages upon move out, and more.
Is it a scam?
- Students should beware of individuals sending an overpayment for deposit/rent, then asking for the overpayment to be sent back to them. This is a scam because their check to your student will not clear the bank.
- Beware of sublet tenants asking to pay rent after they move in. This is a scam. Your student should always obtain payment before the subtenant moves in and your student should keep the security deposit in an escrow account. Be sure to use the sublet agreement, as previously mentioned.
- Take a look at Sublet Smart and Don't Get Scammed and The 5 Best Summer Sublet Tips featured on the Beyond the Diag Off-Campus Housing website for more tips and resources to share with your student.
For more information, visit:
- Student Legal Services. This office has published a "Before You Sublet" article on their website. Please review their tips and a fraud warning from the Ann Arbor Police Department.
- Beyond the Diag. Beyond the Diag will host an Off-Campus Housing and Summer Sublet Information Fair on February 13, 2019, in the Ballroom, Michigan League, 11 AM - 2 PM. A variety of resources and information related to summer housing will be available from campus departments and property managers.
We're here to assist with any questions and to provide support. Please contact the Dean of Students Office with any questions.
To help Student Life continue making a difference in students' lives, please consider making a gift.